consequences of not calling object.__init__?

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh at cafepy.com
Tue Dec 28 14:30:39 EST 2004

Steven Bethard wrote:

> So when I'm writing a class and I define an __init__ method, I sometimes
> haven't called object.__init__, e.g.:
>
>     class C(object):
>         def __init__(self, x):
>             self.x = x
>
> instead of
>
>     class C(object):
>         def __init__(self, x):
>             super(C, self).__init__()
>             self.x = x
>
> Looking at:
>
>    http://www.python.org/2.2.3/descrintro.html#__new__
>    "The built-in type 'object' has a dummy __new__ and a dummy __init__"
>
> seems to suggest that the super call here is unnecessary.  It's also not
> made in the Super class example from that document:
>
>     http://www.python.org/2.2.3/descrintro.html#superexample
>
> I'm trying to get in the habit of calling super in all __init__ methods,
> but it seems like it's unnecessary when the only superclass is object.
> Assuming that the base class of C doesn't get changed from object, are
> there consequences of not making this call?

Yes!

Consider what happens if you multi-subclass from the above C class and
another class D.

class E(C, D):
     def __init__(self, x):
         super(E, self).__init__(x)
         # some initialization for E

Now E.__mro__ is (E,C,D,object). So:

1. E's __init__ should call C's __init__ (this happens due to super call
in E.__init__)

2. C's __init__ should call D's __init__ (*this is why you need the
super call in C.__init__*)

Without it, D.__init__ will not be called. Note that D.__init__ should
not take any parameters in this case. Parameter similarity may be an
issue in call-next-method technique.

However, if you know you will not mutli-subclass from C, you may leave
out the super call.

HTH,
Shalabh