Time for : comp.lang.python.newbies ??

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Dec 7 02:34:58 EST 2004

gmduncan <gmduncan at swiftdsl.com.au> wrote:

>Am I correct in detecting a greater presence of Newbies in
>this  "Pierian Spring" aka c.l.p. ??
>
>Seems there's more than the usual bunch of pleas for help
>esp. from the Newbie Windoze fraternity.
>
>And it seems the Uber-Gurus (You Know Who You ARE) have retreated
>a bit - most are in the NH so it can't be that they are holidaying
>in the Bahamas, Greece, and Corfu and the like, in their winter
>"of discontent" no doubt.
>
>Maybe a time for a new discussion group along that suggested
>by the Subject line ?

Unfortunately, what you propose is doomed to failure.  This has been shown
many times before in Usenet.

Let's say you're a newbie, and you have a question.  You are presented with
two newsgroups:
    comp.lang.python.newbies
    comp.lang.python.experts
Where do you think you will be getting the most productive answers to your
questions?  If there are no experts in the newbie group, there aren't going
to be very many useful answers there.

>I've got nothing against Newbies - I was one once - but there
>is a limit.

No, there isn't, really.  I don't think the percentage of true newbie
questions has really gone up.  However, as you grow more knowledgeable, the
percentage of questions that SEEM like newbie questions goes up.

comp.lang.python has always been a bastion of kindness and tolerance in the
comp.lang hierarchy.  I hope that remains true.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.