Operators as functions

Anders Andersson anders84 at telia.com
Mon Dec 20 17:44:15 EST 2004

Hello

I want to concatinate (I apologize for bad English, but it is not my
native language) a list of strings to a string. I could use (I think):

s = ""
map(lambda x: s.append(x), theList)

But I want to do something like (I think that the code above is clumsy):

s = reduce("concatinating function", theList, "")

And here is the questions: What to replace "concatinating function"
with? Can I in some way give the +-operator as an argument to the reduce
function? I know operators can be sent as arguments in Haskell and since
Python has functions as map, filter and listcomprehension etc. I hope it
is possible in Python too. In Haskell I would write:

foldr (++) []

Thank you for answering!

--
Anders Andersson