Regexp question

Philippe C. Martin philippecmartin at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 1 08:48:24 EST 2004

I realize this is more a regexp question than a python question, but maybe one
of the re object could help me:

I have wish to know how to _no_ match:

This is but an example of the data I handle:

xx xx xx xx xx xx xx [yy yy yy yy yy yy yy] (zz zz zz zz)

I currently can retrieve the three group of logical data blocks with:

l_str = 'xx xx xx xx xx xx xx [yy yy yy yy yy yy yy] (zz zz zz zz)'
p = re.compile(r'([a-f-0-9\s]*) (\[[a-f-0-9\s]*\])
(\([a-f-0-9\s]*\))',re.IGNORECASE) #OK
g = p.search(l_str)

What I would rather do is.

"get the data block that is _not_ between brackets or parenthesis  i.e; 'xx xx
xx xx xx xx xx' knowing that the intial string could be:

[yy yy yy yy yy yy yy]  xx xx xx xx xx xx xx  (zz zz zz zz)

Any clue  ?

Regards,

Philippe