Unicode entries on sys.path

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Dec 29 07:59:44 EST 2004

Thomas Heller wrote:
> I wasn't asking about the *W functions, I'm asking about string/unicode
> handling in Python source files. Looking into Python/import.c, wouldn't
> it be required to change the signature of a lot of functions to receive
> PyObject* arguments, instead of char* ?

Yes, that would be one solution. Another solution would be to provide an
additional Py_UNICODE*, and to allow that pointer to be NULL. Most
systems would ignore that pointer (and it would be NULL most of the
time), except on NT+, which would use the Py_UNICODE* if available,
and the char* otherwise.

> I always thought that the *W apis would not be there in win98, but it
> seems that is wrong.  Fortunately, how could Python, which links to the
> FindFirstFileW exported function for example, run on win98 otherwise...

Thanks, that is convincing.

Regards,
Martin