pre-PEP generic objects

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 18:28:01 EST 2004

Ian Bicking wrote:
> class bunch(object):
>     def __init__(self, **kw):
>         for name, value in kw.items():
>             # IMPORTANT!  This is subclass friendly: updating __dict__
>             # is not!
>             setattr(self, name, value)

Good point about being subclass friendly...  I wonder if there's an easy
way of doing what update does though...  Update (and therefore __init__)
allows you to pass in a Bunch, dict, (key, value) sequence or keyword
arguments by taking advantage of dict's update method.  Is there a clean
way of supporting all these variants using setattr?

Steve