installing 2.4

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Dec 2 20:41:07 EST 2004

Jive wrote:
> I just now installed 2.4.  I naively copied my site-package from 2.3.  The
> first program I tried to run, which uses the gnuplot package, got this
> error, complaining about module Numeric:
>
> ImportError: Module use of python23.dll conflicts with this version of
> Python.
>
> Grumble: Why does Numeric reference a module by release number?
>
> My real question is, what all do I have to do in order to get the programs I
> ran under 2.3 to work with 2.4?

Install all new versions (compatible with 2.4) of any *extension
modules* that you are using, such as Numeric.  Only pure Python
code can run without change on a newer interpreter.  Anything
that has a .pyd or .so file (i.e. dynamic libraries, containing
C code that follows the Python extension API conventions) must
be recompiled for the new version.

-Peter