better lambda support in the future?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Dec 18 02:18:10 EST 2004

"Jp Calderone" <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote in message
news:20041218001106.1029.2092913511.divmod.quotient.12461 at ohm...
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:16:08 -0500, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> What puzzles me is 1) why some people apparently think anonymity is
>> good --
>> is it really that hard to name non-trivial functions?

>  Regarding #1: there must be a great variance between people in the
> difficulty of some aspects of programming.  I am always amazed to hear
> from people who have no difficulty picking names for all of their
> functions.  This is a task that often stumps me for long minutes.  Given
> the obvious profusion of functions in most programs, these minutes
> compound
> into hours very quickly.  I am always greatful when a lambda lets me
> avoid
> wasting time on something as irrelevant as giving a name to a short
> function that will be referenced exactly once.

For one-off uses not eligible for lambda treatment, where you really do not
care about the name, use the same name, such as 'f', over and over, or a
series such as f1, f2, ,,, or f,g,h.  I have done all three in interactive
explorations.

Terry J. Reedy