A rational proposal

Raymond L. Buvel levub137 at wi.rr.com
Sun Dec 19 08:13:52 EST 2004

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Raymond L. Buvel <levub137 at wi.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Mike Meyer wrote:
>>
>>>PEP: XXX
>>>Title: A rational number module for Python
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>I think it is a good idea to have rationals as part of the standard
>>distribution but why not base this on the gmpy module
>>(https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmpy)?  That module already provides
>

> gmpy wraps GMP, which is covered by LGPL; therefore, gmpy itself is
> LGPL, and thus, sadly, cannot be included with python (otherwise,
> speaking as gmpy's author, I'd be glad to fix its design to meet your
> objections).
>

> Alex

Since the LGPL was designed to allow propritary software to link to a
LGPL module, I don't see why any software under a free license like
Python cannot link to the GMP library.  The PSF may want you to release
gmpy under a dual license if it is incorporated into the Python standard
library but I don't see why that cannot be done.

Ray