Why are tuples immutable?

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Tue Dec 21 13:50:45 EST 2004

Antoon Pardon wrote:

>Op 2004-12-17, Jeff Shannon schreef <jeff at ccvcorp.com>:
>

>>Now, even if hash were made to equal id... suppose I then pass that dict
>>to a function, and I want to get the value that I've stored under
>>[1,2].  In order to do that, I'd *also* have to pass in the *exact* list
>>that I used as the key, because *only* that *exact* instance will hash
>>correctly.
>>

>Maybe that is what I want.

Then use a class instance, rather than a list.  It's too valuable
elsewhere to have lists that compare by value rather than identity.

>That doesn't change the fact that conceptually a programmer can use
>them that way. So do you think that if a programmer uses a list
>as a heap or a sorted list he should limit his object to immutable
>objects. Are you saying that programmers shouldn't sort mutable
>objects.

I'm saying that your analogy of list/heap *values* to dictionary *keys*
is a bogus analogy.  Dictionary *values* have no restrictions against
mutation, just as list/heap values have no restrictions.

I'm also saying that a sorted/heaped list can be easily fixed by
examining the items in it.  A broken hash table *cannot* be fixed that
way.

>>Note also that, if a list becomes unsorted or unheaped, it's fairly easy
>>to resort or re-heapify the list.  It may take some time, but nothing is
>>lost.  If a dictionary key mutates, then data *is* lost.
>>

>Is it? I don't see why an items method should fail to provide all (key,
>value) pairs even when keys were mutated.

How does the dict know which value is associated with which key?

I need to be able to access sequence-keyed dictionaries with literals,
which means that the keys need to compare by value, not ID.  Thus, I
need to have sequences that compare (and hash) by value.  These
conditions *cannot* be met by a mutable list.  I can have the quality of
hash value not changing when mutated, or I can have the quality of
hashing by value, but I *cannot* have both.  Thus, even if you make
lists hash by ID, I *still* need to have an immutable tuple type so that
I can get hash-by-value.

Given that lists simply cannot replace every usage of tuples as
dictionary keys, the question becomes only one of which is more
important -- that lists compare to each other by value, or that lists
are usable as dictionary keys.  Given the ease of using compare-by-ID
class instances instead of lists, and the general usefulness of having
lists compare by value, I think that Python made the right choice.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International