Clearing the screen

Sat Dec 25 19:34:26 EST 2004

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Jeff Epler wrote:
>
>> I don't know about idle, but the "real" python supports the
>> PYTHONSTARTUP environment variable.
>
> I just tried it - IDLE ignores PYTHONSTARTUP, as does PythonWin (I just
> started using PYTHONSTARTUP to switch the standard prompt from '>>>' to
> "Py>').
>
> I believe PYTHONSTARTUP is handled by CPython's main function before it
> gets to the interactive interpreter.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.

 From the Fine Manual:
     Command line usage
     idle.py [-c command] [-d] [-e] [-s] [-t title] [arg] ...

     -c command  run this command
     -d          enable debugger
     -e          edit mode; arguments are files to be edited
     -s          run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP first
     -t title    set title of shell window

On Windows, it is likely to be idle.pyw.  So, add a -s to the command
line used in the shortcut to start Idle.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org