How is Python designed?

Limin Fu fulimin_yuan at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 19:29:13 EST 2004

Well, you are the first who really want to join to the
development of Yuan, I'm quite glad. We can further
discuss in detail outside of this python mailing list,
since it is not the place for such discussion. Here I
just mention a few things here, maybe I can also get
some advices from some experienced guys, hopefully.

First, I don't doubt your C++ skill, theoretical
background and passion for developing a scripting
language. BUT YOU SHOULD MAKE SURE IF YUAN IS THE SAME
AS WHAT YOUR HAVE THOUGHT. I should point out that,
there is no virtual machine in Yuan, you can read some
discussion posts I made with others people in this
list. I can give more details on Yuan if you want. You
may also have a look to the website:
http://yuan-language.sourceforge.net/
Though Yuan is not well documented yet, you can get
some impression of it from that website.

Second, it is about licensing. Yuan will always be
available under GPL (as long as it will survive). But
I also wanted it can be used for commercial
applications. Now what I'm thinking and planing to do
is, to add one or two exceptions to GPL, so that Yuan
can be used for certain types of commercial
application without charging a fee, but COMPLETE
integration (I mean when the communication between
Yuan and other applications is beyond certain
predefined interfaces) of Yuan with no GPLed
applications would require a license fee(of course
part of it will be share by the developers
proportional to their contribution and the other part
will be used to promote Yuan). The main reason I want
to do so is, I want to setup a more or less
stable(maybe not, I want to try it out) financial
source for the development of Yuan. I am not sure if
this licensing model will work for the interpreter of
a scripting language :). Anyone tried it?

In the case of scripting language, licensing is just a
matter of strategy to enlarge the usage of itself
(maybe I'm wrong). The reason I don't adopt the same
strategy of python or perl etc. is that, I'm really
not sure how many companies are willing to support
such project voluntarily. Maybe somebody here can give
me a hint.

Anyway, anyone is welcome to join the develop of Yuan.
If you don't agree with me on some of the above
points, please tell me of your opinions, and I will
consider them carefully. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Limin