atmosphere on c.l.py (WAS: How about "pure virtual methods"?)

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 17:25:14 EST 2004

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Definitely not the c.l.py I recalled
[snip]
> I guess I'm not going to stay around all that long this time.

That would be a sad loss for all of us out here who very much appreciate
your very deep knowledge of Python and your willingness to share it.

I do understand the feeling though; Fredrik Lundh jumped at me only a
few days ago when I said that I personally found list comprehensions
more readable than map.  I certainly don't mind being advised or
corrected if I've written incorrect or even just suboptimal code, but
attacking a person's mental processes seems kind of needlessly
aggressive to me.

I don't really have a good solution; despite the unnecessarily vicious
comments, I don't feel like I can set my newsreader to ignore messages
from, for example, Fredrik, because his answers, when not attacks, are
often very insightful.  If you find a good solution to this problem,
please let me know.

Steve