what would you like to see in a 2nd edition Nutshell?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 29 18:31:40 EST 2004

RM <ny_r_marquez at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What you say is true.  However, I didn't think the target audience of
> this book was newbies.  Python newbies yes, but not programming
> newbies.  For programming newbies I would recommend the "Learning
> Python" book instead.

Sure (or any of the other excellent tutorials, including "Python
Programming for Absolute Beginners").  Such tutorials' coverage of GUI
programming tends to be scarce, though; and moreover, programmers often
come to Python, from other languages, without skills directly applicable
to programming a GUI in Python (as opposed to, say, just painting the
GUI with a tool, as QT Designer or wxGlade may let you do).

Any GUI programming skills that may exist can be Tk-related more often
than one might think... or maybe that's just my own biased observations,
people coming to Python from previous experience with perl or tcl, but
I've known quite a few of those.

> The availability argument, however, is a good point.

It has its importance, yes.  If you want to replace the de facto Python
standard GUI toolkit with wx, gtk or whatever, having an IDLE-or-better
equivalent using your favourite toolkit, and managing to sneak it into
the std Python distro, would be the way to go;-)

Alex