Unicode docstrings in PyMethodDef?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Dec 8 00:43:31 EST 2004

Hi folks

I'm currently working on a fairly well internationalised app that embeds
a Python intepreter. I'd like to make the docstrings translatable, but
am running into the issue that the translation function returns unicode
data.

Does anybody here know what encoding docstrings in PyMethodDef are
interpreted as? Is there any sane way to get unicode data into
docstrings for methods provided by extension modules?

I'm hoping to avoid writing a Python wrapper module if at all possible,
especially since that'll make it impossible to use the Qt translation
system the rest of the app is translated with.

--
Craig Ringer