The Industry choice

Hans Nowak hans at zephyrfalcon.org
Fri Dec 31 16:28:08 EST 2004

Paul Rubin wrote:

> You should write unit tests either way, but in Python you're relying
> on the tests to find stuff that the compiler finds for you with Java.

As I wrote on my weblog a while ago, I suspect that this effect is
largely psychological.  You jump through hoops, declaring types all over
the place, checking exceptions, working around the language's
limitations, etc.  So when your code compiles, it *feels* safer.  Like
you're at least part of the way towards ensuring correctness.  All that
work must be good for *something*, right?  Never mind that when writing
unit tests for a dynamic language, you don't check for these things at
all.  How often do you explicitly check types in Python unit tests?
IMHO, when using a dynamic language, you don't need most of the checks
that Java, C# and their ilk force upon you.

--
Hans Nowak
http://zephyrfalcon.org/