extract news article from web

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Dec 23 09:58:42 EST 2004

Zhang Le wrote:

> Thanks for the hint. The xml-rpc service is great, but I want some
> general techniques to parse news information in the usual html pages.
>
> Currently I'm looking at a script-based approach found at:
> http://www.namo.com/products/handstory/manual/hsceditor/
> User can write some simple template to extract certain fields from a
> web page. Unfortunately, it is not open source, so I can not look
> inside the blackbox.:-(
>
> Zhang Le

That's a very large topic, and not one that I could claim to be expert
on, so let's hope that others will pitch in with their favorite
techniques. Otherwise it's down to providing individual parsers for each
service you want to scan, and maintaining the parsers as each group of
designers modifies their pages.

You might want to look at BeutifulSoup, which is a module for extracting
  stuff from (possibly) irregularly-formed HTML.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119