CGI zombies with Apache 1.3 on Linux

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Fri Dec 10 21:29:37 EST 2004

Erik Max Francis wrote:
> Robert Brewer wrote:
>
> > I've Googled extensively, but can't figure out what might
> be causing my
> > Python CGI app to zombie (yes, Tibia, the one I just
> announced ;). The
> > cgi bit looks like this:
>
> Zombies are caused by forking a subprocess and the parent not
> waiting on
> it.  Does your system (sometimes) spin off a subprocess?

That's what I can't figure out. The app serves web pages via CGI, and
calls .read and .write on files in the same directory. It also calls
urllib.urlopen once in a while, and uses PIL's Image.open and .save. Oh,
and os.walk. Other than that, it's all text processing.

The subprocesses are children of apache processes (when I use "ps axf").
There's also a "[sh] <defunct>" process sitting around which is a child
of apache.

Any ideas?

Robert Brewer
MIS