pythonwin broke

Jean Brouwers mrjean1ATcomcastDOTnet at no.spam.net
Fri Dec 3 21:05:35 EST 2004

Well, we made several attempts to install Python 2.4 with a number of
extension packages on Windows XP and used the binaries from the Python
site, not ActivePython.

Previous to 2.4,  we did have several versions of Python installed on
Windows XP without any problem.  We installed 2.4 as usual in a
separate directory under Program Files.  But there were several
problems getting the 2.4 exe and IDLE started, in addition to issues
with some extensions.  Plus 2.3.4 could not be started any longer.

Uninstalling 2.4 did not quite work and *may* have broken the existing
2.3.4 installation.  Uninstalling and reinstalling that failed also,
until we manually cleaned up the Registry and StartUp folder.

As I mentioned, we did not investigate the 2.4 problem any further
since getting 2.3.4 back up and running was more critical than 2.4 due
to other problems with the extensions on 2.4.

Once all extensions exist for 2.4 we will try again.  And maybe, we
should use the ActivePython builds then ;-)

/Jean Brouwers

PS) We had no problem with Python 2.4 or any extensions on Lunix.
Everything works fine there and all our Python code runs unmodified on
both 2.3 and 2.4 with extensions, without any failure or glitch.  The
difference *may* be that we rebuild the distribution on Linux but not
on Windows.