Upgrade woes: Numeric, gnuplot, and Python 2.4

Jive someone at microsoft.com
Sat Dec 11 21:45:10 EST 2004

Here's my sitch:

I use gnuplot.py at work, platform Win32.  I want to upgrade to Python 2.4.
Gnuplot.py uses extension module Numeric.  Numeric is now "unsupported."
The documentation says "If you are new to Numerical Python, please use
Numarray.".  It's not that easy, dangit.  The download page for numpy does
not contain a 2.4 version of Numeric, and I suspect they do not intend to
release one, because there IS a 2.4 version of Numarray.

So here are my choices:

1) Switch from gnuplot.py to some other plotting package.
2) Convince, bribe, or cajole someone to implement gnuplot.py using
Numarray.
3) Hack on gnuplot.py myself.  (Learning curve alert!)
4) Buy a copy of the VC++ 7.1 and port Numeric myself. (I still don't know
what to buy from Mr. Gates -- VC++ .net Standard?)
5) Do something else I haven't thought of.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Jive "I speet on backwards incompatibility" Dadson