BASIC vs Python

Peter Hickman peter at semantico.com
Fri Dec 17 05:04:29 EST 2004

Mike Meyer wrote:
> BASIC as implented by Microsoft for the Apple II and the TRS 80 (among
> others) is simply the worst programming language I have ever
> encountered. Assembler was better - at least you had recursion with
> assembler.

Basic has progressed much since you last looked at it, time to update your
facts. Basic has recursion, it compiles to native code, it has objects, can be
event driven and everything else you would expect of a language.

Computing changes too fast to allow you to think you know it all. Keep up to
date granddad.

However what basic doesn't have is a portable language definition.