standard IDE in python 3000 (or beyond)? *semi-newbie*

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Dec 30 08:34:47 EST 2004

Brendan Kohler wrote:

> "mike kreiner" <mike.kreiner at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1104391349.202802.182460 at z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>
>>Are there any plans for developing a standard IDE for python that's
>>included with the python installation? I found information about other
>>IDE's elsewhere online, but couldn't even find any mention of this
>>possibility.
>>
>>I'm still relatively new to Python--I switched over from VB--and I
>>found it difficult to learn python without an IDE. Most experienced
>>programmers I know started out using Emacs or another text editor, and
>>are very happy with that; however, I found it difficult to put all the
>>pieces (like GUI, etc.) together myself. i tried many of the free IDEs,
>>but was dissatisfied (VS is tough to beat in my opinion, much better
>>than the average m$ application *plz don't flame*). although it'd be a
>>difficult undertaking, i think an IDE would be a tremendous boost for
>>python in terms of gaining support in education and the business
>>community. has anyone else discussed this? does anyone know the BDFL's
>>stance? thanks.
>>
>>~mike
>>

> That would be something called IDLE, which is included with python already.

With respect it wouldn't, since IDLE doesn;t include a GUI builder. I
think Mike's cri-de-couer is for a tool that makes it as easy as Visual
Studio to put a GUI-based application together.

To which I can only respond that it's obvious Microsoft haven't wasted
ALL the money they've spent on developemnt. VS *is* a tough act to beat,
though certainly not impossible.

  I wish there *were* something equivalent. If Jim Hugunin can persuade
Microsoft to fully support Python in Visula Studio .NET they'd have at
least one more customer.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119