The Industry choice

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 31 03:09:11 EST 2004

On 30 Dec 2004 08:58:36 -0800, "Sridhar  R"
<sridharinfinity at gmail.com> wrote:
> What makes such companies to choose Java over dynamic, productive
> languages like Python?  Are there any viable, technical reasons for
> that?

Decisions are made by men in suits who read very expensive
business magazines, read "technical reports" by the like of
Gartner and Forester and get taken on expenses-paid trips by
company sales reps. My boss has never had his lunch paid
for by a man selling Python...

Think about the PHB in Dilbert, if some guy in a sharp suit from
a big supplier says use Java, while Dilbert and the others say
Python what will he pick?

There are some valid technical reasons to do with performance and
security too, but frankly, they come a long way down the list...

Alan G.
Author of the Learn to Program website