installing 2.4

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Thu Dec 2 21:54:53 EST 2004

Jive wrote:

>As for checking the "application path",  I don't know what that means.

Go to a command prompt, and type 'echo %path%'.  You'll see a list of
all the directories that Windows looks in to find an executable -- i.e.,
if you type 'python', Windows will work through this list of directories
looking for a program named 'python', and will execute the first one it
finds.  If you want 2.3 to be your default Python version, then you
should have 'C:\Python23\.' somewhere near the front of this list.  If
'C:\Python24\.' is first in the list, then you may be running the wrong
version of Python.

Now, start up Windows Explorer and from the Tools menu, select 'Folder
Options'.  In the property sheet that comes up, go to the 'File Types'
tab.  Scroll down until you find the entry for 'PY  Python File', select
it, and click on the 'Advanced' button near the bottom.  You're now
looking at the file associations for .py files.  Select the 'open'
action, and click 'Edit...'.  If the application listed specifies a
Python24 path, then all .py files will (by default) be run by Python24.
If there's no path specified to python.exe, then Windows will search the
application path (as described above), and you might or might not be
running 2.4 by default.

I would *think* that uninstalling 2.4 should return these to their
previous values (i.e. 2.3), but I'm not sure.  If they're not valid
values, then we can try to walk you through fixing them.  (Note that I'm
giving directions that match Windows 2000, since that's what I'm on
right now.  Things maybe a bit different if you're using a different
version of Windows, so be sure to include your Windows version in any