Clarification of two concepts (or maybe one?)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Dec 10 16:27:01 EST 2004

Eddie Parker wrote:

> What I’m looking for, is a way to turn a python ‘application’, into a
> ‘stand-alone’ application. i.e., you don’t need the Python interpreter,
> libraries, etc, installed on your hard drive. (I’m OK with .py files
> existing – I just don’t want to have to bother the user to install more then
> just my app).

you cannot run Python without a Python interpreter -- but you can ship the
interpreter DLL and the necessary library components with your app, and
you can use bundling tools to reduce the number of files to a minimum:

    http://effbot.org/zone/python-compile.htm
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/DistributionUtilities

</F>