Koolaid (was Re: Optional Static Typing)

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Fri Dec 24 08:13:11 EST 2004

Tim Churches wrote:
> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
>
>>John Roth wrote:

>>>Neither one. I hope you didn't mean  that people
>>>who advocate TDD are suicidal fanatics, because
>>>that's exactly what "drink the  kool-aid" means.
>>
>>I always thought the connotation was more that those who
>>"drank the Kool-Aid" were unthinking drones, following what
>>others told them to do.
>

> I thought it was an allusion to "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid test" by Tom Wolfe - see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Electric_Kool_Aid_Acid_Test

First Google hit for "drank the Kool-aid":

http://www.wordspy.com/words/drinktheKool-Aid.asp

"""
Notes:
This phrase comes from the 1978 "Jonestown massacre" in which members of
the Peoples Temple cult committed suicide by drinking cyanide-laced
Kool-Aid (although some say the drink of choice was actually Flav-R-Aid).
"""

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu