expression form of one-to-many dict?

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 06:00:59 EST 2004

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Steven Bethard wrote:
>
>>>The map form, in this case, parses instantly in my brain, while the listcomp
>>>certainly takes a few cycles.  And note that I'm not talking about the typing
>>>conciseness, but about the effort for my brain.  But maybe I'm just wired
>>>funny :)
>>
>>Well, different at least.  I find the map one harder to parse mentally.
>
> if you have trouble parsing a function call, I'm glad I don't have to maintain
> your Python programs...

I don't know what I said to upset you so, but I do apologize.

If you could tell me what it was about my statement (that I find a list
comprehension to be a clearer description of program flow than a map
application[1]) that so insulted you, I would be glad to avoid such
comments in the future, if it would avoid such vicious replies from you.

Steve

[1] In my mind, the program flow is spelled out explicitly in the list
comprehension and only implicitly in the map application.  Thus the list
comprehension is clearer to me.