Tibia 0.1 DOM-based website editor

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Sat Dec 11 13:19:07 EST 2004

Fuzzyman wrote:
> Interesting.
>
> I couldn't get the demo to work either by the way. A 404 error on the
> tba file.

Bah. You must've looked after I switched fom .tba to .py
Try http://www.aminus.org/rbre/tibia/demo/tibia.py

> This is *similar* t oa project I'm about to release, Jalopy. Jalopy is
> a collaborative website tool - allowing a team of people to work on a
> website together. It uses Kupu as an online WYSIWYG HTML editor. (I
> assume tibia uses something similar ? if not you should integrate Kupu
> !).

Similar, but with important differences. Although Tibia makes use of
Javascript to manipulate the DOM, its goals and audience are different.
Tibia:

1. ...is a single file, to reduce deployment cost: download (wget), edit
httpd.conf or IIS conf (if you're not already mapping .py to CGI), write
a tibia.conf if you don't want the defaults. Install PIL if desired,
which is a one-liner on Debian and an installer on Win*. So Kupu's right
out. So is the jalopy approach: "login_tools, configobj, caseless,
listquote, dateutils, dataenc, pathutils and cgiutils" is far too many
dependencies when you're shooting for zero/one ;).

2. ...combines *both* WYSIWYG and source code access, at the same time.
Your typing is performed in a plain-'ol textarea, which avoids all of
the "where is my cursor?" problems with WYSIWYG-only when used on
complex pages. However, as you type, your changes are reflected in real
time in the source document. I need an Undo button, though. /pops off
and adds a new feature request

3. ...handles complex, preexistent web pages produced by others. Have
your web page laid out by a pro, then give access to individual elements
to your "content providers" as needed. Using the web grabber and upload
tools, you can stop FTP'ing web pages to your colo completely. It
doesn't appear to me from the Kupu demos that they can handle anything
complex...but I could be wrong. I'd like to see a page like Plone's home
page being edited by Kupu. You can see it in Tibia at the demo:
http://www.aminus.org/rbre/tibia/demo/tibia.py?page=www.plone.org.html

> You can see a jalopy demo at
> http://www.voidspace.org.uk/cgi-bin/jalopydemo/jalopy.py
>
> I'm not *sure* if that is the latest version - but I think so. I've
> nearly finished the docs and will do a release.

It looks good! I like some of the tools Kupu provides (and in fact,
stole the idea for my simplistic B, I, U buttons after seeing Kupu for
the first time a few weeks ago). I'm a bit unclear on exactly where Kupu
stops and Jalopy starts, though. You might want to make that more clear
in the help file...maybe a one-liner like "Kupu does X, Y, and Z, and
Jalopy adds A, B, and C".

I'm looking forward to your release (with uploads! ;).

Robert Brewer
MIS
Amor Ministries
fumanchu at amor.org