lies about OOP

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Dec 15 02:56:10 EST 2004

Mike Meyer wrote:

>> If OOP is so beneficial for large projects, why are the Linux kernel,
>> the interpreters for Perl and Python, and most compilers I know written
>> in C rather than C++?
>
> Because C++ combines the worst features of C and OO programming. It
> also makes some defaults go the wrong way, and forces decisions onto
> the programmer that are best left up to the compiler, as the
> programmer is liable to get them wrong.

that's a nice rant about C++, but it's not the right answer to the question.  the
Python core developers are perfectly capable of writing working C++ code,
and both the core and most extensions would benefit from C++ features (just
look at Boost and other C++ layers).

but C++ wasn't a serious contender back when CPython development was
started, and nobody's going to convert the existing codebase...

</F>