How about "pure virtual methods"?

Noam Raphael noamr at remove.the.dot.myrea.lbox.com
Sat Dec 18 18:49:50 EST 2004

Hello,

I thought about a new Python feature. Please tell me what you think
about it.

Say you want to write a base class with some unimplemented methods, that
subclasses must implement (or maybe even just declare an interface, with
no methods implemented). Right now, you don't really have a way to do
it. You can leave the methods with a "pass", or raise a
NotImplementedError, but even in the best solution that I know of,
there's now way to check if a subclass has implemented all the required
methods without running it and testing if it works. Another problem with
the existing solutions is that raising NotImplementedError usually means
"This method might be implemented some time", and not "you must
implement this method when you subclass me".

What I suggest is a new class, called notimplemented (you may suggest a
better name). It would get a function in its constructor, and would just
save a reference to it. The trick is that when a new type (a subclass of
the default type object) is created, It will go over all its members and
check to see if any of them is a notimplemented instance. If that is the
case, it would not allow an instantiation of itself.

What I want is that if I have this module:

======================

class BaseClass(object):
     def __init__(self):

     @notimplemented
     def save_data(self, filename):
         """This method should save the internal state of the class to
         a file named filename.
         """
         pass

class RealClass(BaseClass):
     def save_data(self, filename):
         open(filename).write(self.data)

then if I try to instantiate BaseClass I would get an exception, but
instantiating RealClass will be ok.

Well, what do you say?

Noam Raphael