Python To Send Emails Via Outlook Express

ian at kirbyfooty.com ian at kirbyfooty.com
Thu Dec 23 20:35:29 EST 2004

Hello again,
Thanks for the advice!
Unfortunately I still cannot get it to send attachments.
It comes up with the following windows error..
(I have a feeling it has something to do with the file count)

>>> import simplemapi
>>> simplemapi.SendMail("ian at cgbs.com.au","The Subject","The
body","c:\ian\ian.txt")
nFileCount  14
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "simplemapi.py", line 111, in SendMail
raise WindowsError, "MAPI error %i" % rc
WindowsError: MAPI error 2

This is the updated script..

----------------------------------
import os
from ctypes import *

FLAGS = c_ulong
LHANDLE = c_ulong
LPLHANDLE = POINTER(LHANDLE)

# Return codes
SUCCESS_SUCCESS = 0
# Recipient class
MAPI_ORIG = 0
MAPI_TO = 1

NULL = c_void_p(None)

class MapiRecipDesc(Structure):
_fields_ = [('ulReserved', c_ulong),
('ulRecipClass', c_ulong),
('lpszName', c_char_p),
('lpszAddress', c_char_p),
('ulEIDSize', c_ulong),
('lpEntryID', c_void_p),
]
lpMapiRecipDesc = POINTER(MapiRecipDesc)

class MapiFileDesc(Structure):
_fields_ = [('ulReserved', c_ulong),
('flFlags', c_ulong),
('nPosition', c_ulong),
('lpszPathName', c_char_p),
('lpszFileName', c_char_p),
('lpFileType', c_void_p),
]
lpMapiFileDesc = POINTER(MapiFileDesc)

class MapiMessage(Structure):
_fields_ = [('ulReserved', c_ulong),
('lpszSubject', c_char_p),
('lpszNoteText', c_char_p),
('lpszMessageType', c_char_p),
('lpszDateReceived', c_char_p),
('lpszConversationID', c_char_p),
('flFlags', FLAGS),
('lpOriginator', lpMapiRecipDesc), # ignored?
('nRecipCount', c_ulong),
('lpRecips', lpMapiRecipDesc),
('nFileCount', c_ulong),
('lpFiles', lpMapiFileDesc),
]
lpMapiMessage = POINTER(MapiMessage)

MAPI = windll.mapi32

MAPISendMail=MAPI.MAPISendMail
MAPISendMail.restype = c_ulong          # Error code
MAPISendMail.argtypes = (LHANDLE,       # lhSession
c_ulong,       # ulUIParam
lpMapiMessage, # lpMessage
FLAGS,         # lpFlags
c_ulong,       # ulReserved
)

def SendMail(recipient, subject, body, attach=[]):
"""Post an e-mail message using Simple MAPI

recipient - string: address to send to
subject - string: subject header
body - string: message text
attach - string: files to attach
"""
attach = map( os.path.abspath, attach )
nFileCount = len(attach)
if attach:
MapiFileDesc_A = MapiFileDesc * len(attach)
fda = MapiFileDesc_A()
for fd, fa in zip(fda, attach):
fd.ulReserved = 0
fd.flFlags = 0
fd.nPosition = -1
fd.lpszPathName = fa
fd.lpszFileName = None
fd.lpFileType = None
lpFiles = fda
else:
# No attachments
lpFiles = cast(NULL, lpMapiFileDesc) # Make NULL

print "nFileCount ",nFileCount

recip = MapiRecipDesc(0, MAPI_TO, None, recipient, 0, None)
#msg = MapiMessage(0, subject, body, None, None, None, 0,
#                 cast(NULL, lpMapiRecipDesc), 1, pointer(recip),
#                 nFileCount, cast(NULL, lpMapiFileDesc))
msg = MapiMessage(0, subject, body, None, None, None, 0,
cast(NULL, lpMapiRecipDesc), 1, pointer(recip),
nFileCount, lpFiles)

rc = MAPISendMail(0, 0, byref(msg), 0, 0)
if rc != SUCCESS_SUCCESS:
raise WindowsError, "MAPI error %i" % rc

Thanks again for your help so far on this. I really appreciate it!
Have a safe and very merry Christmas.

God bless!!

Ian