ftp

hawkmoon269 rson at new.rr.com
Wed Dec 15 18:49:31 EST 2004

I would like to write a small ftp script that I could use in place of
DOS.  So far I have this --

from ftplib import FTP

server = 'xxx'
username = 'xxx'
password = 'xxx'
file = 'xxx'

ftp = FTP(server)
ftp.login(username, password)
ftp.retrlines('RETR ' + file, open('C:\My Documents\' + file,
'w').write

but this just writes the source files contents into a giant string in
the output file.  The source file is comma-delimited with a
fixed-length of 80 chars per line.  I need the same format for the
output file.  I've tried this --

ftp.retrlines('RETR ' + file, open('C:\My Documents\' + file,
'w').write('\n')

and that gives the correct output format...but it writes the output to
the IDE interpreter command line and not the file.  What am I doing
wrong?

hawk