lies about OOP

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Dec 14 04:07:51 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 16:02, Mike Thompson wrote:

> > I would pick the publication of "Design Patterns" in 1995 by the Gang of
> > Four (Gamma, Helm, Johnson, and Vlissides),  to be the herald of when "the
> > Joy of OOP" would be "widely known."  DP formalized a taxonomy for many of
> > the heuristics that had evolved only intuitively up until then.  Its
> > emergence reflects a general maturation of concept and practice, sufficient
> > to say that the Joy of OOP could be said to be "widely known."

> In actual fact, virtually all the design patterns came from the
> Interviews C++ GUI toolkit written in the early '90s. What an utterly
> brilliant piece of work that was.

As somebody who has just been bowled over by how well Qt works, and how
it seems to make OOP in C++ work "right" (introspection, properties,
etc), I'd be interested in knowing what the similarities or lack thereof
between Qt and Interviews are.

I've been pleasantly astonished again and again by how I can write
something in C++ with Qt like I would write it in Python, and have it
just work. Alas, this doesn't extend as far as:

	instance = Constructor(*args)

though if anybody knows how to do this in C++ I would be overjoyed to
hear from them. Qt _does_ provide a pleasant (if somewhat limited) of
the Python getattr() and setattr() calls.

--
Craig Ringer