New versions breaking extensions, etc.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Dec 12 11:41:10 EST 2004

Jive wrote:
> I don't even know how to do that! :-)  What's the difference between VC++
> .net Standard and Visual Studio .net Pro?  (Besides $370?)  Is the former
> C++ only, but with the IDE, and the later the whole shebang with SourceSafe,
> VBASIC, and all that?

According to

http://msdn.microsoft.com/howtobuy/vstudio/

there is, for VS.NET, "Academic", "Professional", "Enterprise
Developer", and "Enterprise Architect". For Python extensions, all
these releases will work; see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/howtobuy/vstudio/features/

for a checkmark list. For VC++ .NET 2003 Standard, it appears that
you get just the C++ compiler, and the IDE, see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/howtobuy/visualc/features/default.aspx

> OH NO!  I've gone seriously off-topic.  Please don't call the Spanish
> Inquisiton.  Allow me to re-phrase the question:  What do I need to build
> (on-topic) Python extensions?

Either VS.NET 2003 or VC++ .NET 2003 should do (although I don't know
anybody who owns the latter to be sure). The core issue is that it needs
a "native" C++ compiler (ie. not just managed C++), and that it needs
mscvcr71.dll.

Regards,
Martin