New versions breaking extensions, etc.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Dec 11 03:58:32 EST 2004

Jive wrote:
> Why won't extensions compiled to run with 2.3 also work with 2.4?

I believe nobody has answered *this* question, yet:

Python extensions built for 2.3 link with python23.dll, Python
extensions build for 2.4 link with python24.dll.

pythonxy.dll has global variables, e.g. the pointers to True,
False, None, or the dict type object. If you have two copies
of the Python runtime, you get two copies of each local object.
This cannot work: we really need to rely on having only one
dict type, or else "is" comparisons with the dict type fail.

Regards,
Martin