list Integer indexing dies??

Ishwor ishwor.gurung at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 11:29:40 EST 2004

On 23 Dec 2004 15:05:20 GMT, Antoon Pardon <apardon at forel.vub.ac.be> wrote:
> Op 2004-12-23, Ishwor schreef <ishwor.gurung at gmail.com>:

> >> Because this only works with strings.
> >>
> >> String is the only object in python which has an implied
> >> equivallence between an element and a squence of one.
> >>
> >> So one character is a string and a string is a sequence
> >> of characters.
> >>
> >> So 'a'[0] is again 'a' which can again be indexed by
> >> 0 as many times as you want.
> >
> > ;-) gotcha. But shouldn't this be valid too??
>
> Well if it should become valid, it should just return 123232 IMO.

Im not sure i understand u but what i meant was that
>>> 123 + 2
125  # nice n good

now it would be nice if integer could also be *subscripted* too
>>> 123[0] + 2
3
;-) But as i said in earlier post said, i'll stick with import this's
#2 by Tim Peters. Its better to leave these design issues with other
**senior pythoneers**.

1

> Suppose I write a number in octal notation.
>
> What should 035[0] cough up? Be carefull it should

>>>035[0]
3 # my own opinion.

> cough up the same as 29[0].

>>>29[0]
2 #again my own opinion

[snip]

> by starting indexing from the back we get a nice correspondence between
> the index of the number and the power of 10 it represents.
>
> --
> Antoon Pardon
> --

As in my view if python could treat object in context sensitive
manner, it would be better world but its just my own beginners
opinion.
Happy hunting with Python. ;-)

--
cheers,