PHP vs. Python (speed-wise comparison)

JZ spamerom at niet.com
Mon Dec 27 17:24:28 EST 2004

Dnia Tue, 28 Dec 2004 02:54:13 +0800, Jon Perez napisał(a):

> If you're talking about usage as a server side scripting
> language, then PHP will likely give better page serving
> throughput for the same hardware configuration versus
> even something that is mod_python based (but I believe
> the speed diff would be well under 100%).

I have different experience. When I moved from PHP to Webware
and I compared its performance with (similar scale) php appplications,
my webware was almost 6 times faster! Application servers are always
faster because they use compiled scripts stored in memory. They do not need
to load files from filesystem nor parse them. PHP is faster only for
trivial, useless benchmarks like "Hello world". For bigger code Python is
faster than PHP.

> The real problem with Python is not speed but _availability_.

You have rigth here.

--
JZ