building extension modules under 2.4 / cygwin

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 13 14:46:37 EST 2004

For the first time, I am trying to compile a matplotlib installer for
win32 / python2.4 under cygwin.  I tested this earlier with one of the
pre-release candidates and had no troubles.  But when I compile with
python2.4, I get the following error when I try and import my
extension code

  the procedure entry point _ctype could not be located in the dynamic
  link libary msvcr71.dll

This DLL resides in C:\Windows\System32 on my system

If I edit the distutils/cygwincompiler.py file and remove the line
that add this lib

                elif msc_ver == '1310':
                    # MSVC 7.1
                    #self.dll_libraries = ['msvcr71']
                    self.dll_libraries = []

My code compiles, links and runs fine, at least in initial tests

Any reason I shouldn't be doing this?

JDH