portable text user interface

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Dec 30 08:47:08 EST 2004

Maxim Kasimov wrote:

> Miki Tebeka wrote:
>
>> Hello Fuzzyman,

>>> Your project looks very interesting. It would be better if it displayed
>>> an error message if it can't find the '_bcdrc' file. If you run it from
>>> windoze it just appears and disapears.
>>>
>>> How about allowing the '_bcdrc' file to be in the same directory as the
>>> script as well.
>>

>> Cool. A user!
>> Thanks for the comments. I'll add searching next to the application on
>> win32 platforms.
>>

>>> Any chance of you releasing the Tkinter text interface as a separate
>>> library, with a less restrictive license ? It looks very good - but I
>>> can't use it in my projects if it is GPL.
>>

>> It's just standard Tkinter Listbox with key bindings and it's under 160
>> lines of code. Nothing special here.
>>
>> Bye.
>> --
>> Miki Tebeka <miki.tebeka at zoran.com>
>> http://tebeka.bizhat.com
>> The only difference between children and adults is the price of the toys
>

> i have not used Tcl/Tk before, and don't know how to solve the problem -
>
> after i've made config file (.bcdrc) and run the script on FreeBSD 4,
> i've got the message:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./bcd.py", line 177, in ?
>     root = Tk() # Main window
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1511, in __init__
>     self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
> TclError: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

This is a problem with window creation. I presume it's occurring because
you aren't running the program in a windowed environment - if you've
logged in through a graphical screen such as xdm and you are running the
program in a window on a desktop the DISPLAY environment variable is
normally set up for you.

Perhaps you are just telnetting in from a remote system?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119