Complementary language?

gabriele renzi rff_rff at remove-yahoo.it
Sun Dec 26 06:30:08 EST 2004

Robin Becker ha scritto:
> Alex Martelli wrote:
>

>> If you're looking for SERIOUS multiparadigmaticity, I think Oz may be
>> best -- <http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/people/PVR/book.html> (the book's
>> authors critique the vagueness of the "paradigm" concept, and prefer
>> "model", but that's much the same thing).
>

> according to the language shootout at
>
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=all&sort=cpu
>
> Mozart/Oz comes last in cpu score. I suspect that may be due to
> unfamilarity or poor implementation of the test codes. Everybody 'knows'
> that benchamrks are always wrong, but which score moves this language to
> the top in your opinion?

He's talking of just "multiparadigmaticality", not efficiency.
The mozart/Oz platform have a stronger point on stuff like
constraint/logic/declarative concurren/etc programming, more than most
of the CL frameworks (not that this is hard in CL, it's just not as
central as in Oz).  Btw, I think AliceML (which just hit 1.0) would be
better than Oz, if accompaniying with python, just to have a
dynamic/static contrast :)