Q: Scheduling in scipy.cow

Tue Dec 28 12:11:10 EST 2004

Mathias wrote:
> Dear NG,
>
> can somebody tell me how the work packages are scheduled to the workers?
>  From the code it seems to me like a a static distribution, ie each
> worker gets the same amount of work, not taking into account if a faster
> worker already finished all work packages.
>
> Thanks,
>    Mathias
>
> PS: Is there a better NG for scipy related questions, espescially
> scipy.cow?

I don't know the general newsgroup name, but:
     gmane.comp.python.scientific.user
or  gmane.comp.python.scientific.devel

on news.gmane.org are the places I watch for scipy stuff.

As to the worker problem, a standard line of attack is a queue of
work-to-do tasklets, with each worker going back for more when he
finishes.  The slowest running worker should then only be finished
after the fastest worker by at most the longest-running tasklet's time.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org