Python 3.0

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Sun Dec 12 22:44:02 EST 2004

>>>>> "duane" == duane osterloth <klasmata at juno.com> writes:

    duane> I'm looking for a stand alone email program which is not
    duane> browser based.  I simply want to write, send and receive
    duane> email without accessing the internet.  Is Python 3.0 that
    duane> kind of program?  I'd appreciate your response.

Hi Duane,

I'm a little confused by your request to send and receive email
without accessing the internet, since email generally travels over the
internet.  Do you only want to handle email over an internal network?
Or did you mean that you wanted to do this without accessing an
internet browser such as Internet Explorer?  I'm guessing the latter.

In any case, python has a full complement of internet ready modules to
send and receive email, so it will serve your purposes well.  Go to
http://groups.google.com and search for

  python email

and read through some of the responses.  Consider also reading the
book "Foundations of Python Network Programming", and take a look at
the documentation for some of the modules related to email handling in
the internet protocols sections of the python standard library
reference at http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/internet.html.

Note that python 2.3.4 is the latest official release.  python 3.0
does not exist, though some people have spoken of python 3.0 and
python 3000 generically in terms of a future python release that will
include certain language constructs not available today.

JDH