built-in 'property'

Bob.Cowdery at CGI-Europe.com Bob.Cowdery at CGI-Europe.com
Tue Dec 28 06:05:20 EST 2004

What I want to achieve is a class whereby I can set the property access per
instance so the user can test if a property is present using
hasattr(klass,'prop') such that the instance has a given capability that can
easily be tested by the user. The actual get/set must also be implemented by
functions as there is work to do on property get/set.

This snippet explains.

class OK(object):

    def __init__(self):
        self.__x = 0

    def getx(self): return self.__x - 5
    def setx(self, value): self.__x = value + 10
    def delx(self): del self.__x

    x = property(getx, setx, delx, "I'm the 'x' property.")

class NOTOK(object):

    def __init__(self):
        self.__x = 0
        self.x = property(self.getx, self.setx, self.delx, "I'm the 'x'
property.")

    def getx(self): return self.__x - 5
    def setx(self, value): self.__x = value + 10
    def delx(self): del self.__x

>>> reload(prop)
<module 'prop' from
'C:\Electronics\SDR\src.python.2.x.x\sdr.ui\reference\prop.py'>
>>> ok=prop.OK()
>>> ok.x
-5
>>> ok.x=10
>>> ok.x
15
>>> notok=prop.NOTOK()
>>> notok.x
<property object at 0x00A9BE90>
>>> notok.x=10
>>> notok.x
10

The OK example has the property and it clearly goes through the get/set
methods. The NOTOK example creates a property object for x. When I set x it
creates a new property x which clearly does not invoke the get/set methods.
Am I doing something stupid here?

Regards
Bob