better lambda support in the future?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Dec 18 02:13:01 EST 2004

Harlin Seritt wrote:

> Jp Calderone wrote:

[...]
>>  I am quite envious of those who can easily come up with names for any
>>function.  Perhaps you lot should go a bit easier on the rest of us and
>>let us keep our crutches.  After all, Python is a language which is
>>supposed to make me more productive by letting me ignore irrelevant
>>things,
>>not force me to waste time on them.  Why should this part of the langauge
>>be any different?
>>
>>  Jp
>

> A lambda should be used for a one-time, one-line-use function that you have
> no intention of calling again (anything more would be an
> inefficiency--which you profess not to be fond of). It is not terribly
> difficult to come up with a name like "get_name()" or the like and stamp a
> "def" in front of with a colon on the end. Then again, it is your program,
> you can do whatever you like. In my opinion, I don't see how it can be
> productive to make code difficult to read and typing the same series of
> keystrokes over and over.

This seems a bit presumptuous. Jp just told you that he found something
difficult, and you dismissively say it isn't.

Frankly I have enough respect for Jp's abilities to believe him when he
says he finds something difficult, as I know he finds things that *IK*
find difficult relatively easy.

Maybe I should enter the next sprint as a name generator ...

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119