notification for cd insertion

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Dec 5 02:59:54 EST 2004

Qiangning Hong <hongqn at gmail.com> wrote:

>I want one of my function to execute when a cdrom is inserted.  How can I achieve that?
>
> Further more, I want to do different things depend on the inserted disc type: if it is a normal
> cd-rom, read from it; if it is a recordable cd, write data on it.  So, how can I get the inserted
> disc type infomation in Python code?

1) figure out how notifications work.  typing your subject line into a google
   search box and clicking "I feel lucky" brings up this page:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;163503

2) figure out how to handle an WM_DEVICECHANGE event in the UI
   framework you're using; this is a framework issue, not a Python issue
   (Python doesn't process Windows events by itself).

3) check the "REFERENCES" section on the above page for more details.

hope this helps!

</F>