embedding: forcing an interpreter to end

dan charnitsky pdectm at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 26 22:23:56 EST 2004

>> I may need to reconsider if Python is appropriate;
>> the other possibiities are javascript or lua.
> Lisp/Scheme?
> (See http://tinyscheme.sourceforge.net/download.html

Thanks for the pointer.  After some preliminary
evaluation, I'll probably try to move forward
prototyping with Lua.  I't looks like it will be much
simpler to port and the resulting library will be much
smaller (less than 100kB).  One nice thing about the
Lua C API that I liked is that the interpreter state
is passed in each call.  So, there is no need for GIL
or saving/restoring thread state.  I wish (hope)
Python will move in that direction along with scaling
down more easily for embedded use.

> The problem is with Python's build proces, it 1'st
> created pgen and then
> use it for the next stage.
> This makes cross compilation very intersting :-)

Have you been able to cross compile Python and port it
to ucLinux (or a smaller OS)?  I'd hate to just give
up on Python.  Do you know if there are an embedded
Python SIGs?