BASIC vs Python

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Fri Dec 17 12:52:53 EST 2004

Peter Hickman <peter at semantico.com> writes:

> Mike Meyer wrote:
>> BASIC as implented by Microsoft for the Apple II and the TRS 80 (among
>> others) is simply the worst programming language I have ever
>> encountered. Assembler was better - at least you had recursion with
>> assembler.
>
> Basic has progressed much since you last looked at it, time to update
> your facts. Basic has recursion, it compiles to native code, it has
> objects, can be event driven and everything else you would expect of a
> language.

That's why I said "as implemented by". I'm well aware that BASIC has
changed a lot since then, adding structured programming facilities,
local variables, and even objects in some cases. But we were
discussing languages of the mid-80s, not what's currently available.

> Computing changes too fast to allow you to think you know it all. Keep
> up to date granddad.

You should be sure of your context before making snippy comments.

    <mike