Fill a Server

bob_smith_17280 at hotmail.com bob_smith_17280 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 15 12:50:08 EST 2004

You are correct Peter, the exception read something like this:

"Folder 85 not found."

I am paraphrasing, but that is the crux of the error. It takes about an
hour to produce the error so if you want an exact quote from the
exception, let me know and give me awhile. I looked through the nested
dirs several times after the crash and they always went from 0 - 84...
sure enough, directory 85 had not been created... why I do not know.
Doesn't really matter now as the script I posted achieves similar
results witout crashing... still slow though.

As far as drive throughput, it's my understanding that SATA is
theorhetically capable of 150 MB/sec (google for it). However, in
practice, one can normally expect a sustained throughput of 60 to 70
MB/sec. The drives are 7,200 RPM... not the more expensive 10,000 RPM
drives. I have no idea how RAID 5 might impact performance either. It's
hardware RAID on a top-of-the-line DELL server. I am not a hardware
expert so I don't understand how *sustained* drive throughput, RPM and
RAID together fator into this scenario.