why no python setup.py uninstall?

richard richardjones at optushome.com.au
Sun Dec 12 23:44:04 EST 2004

Roger Binns wrote:
> <alia_khouri at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1102374458.743703.110210 at z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>> I think a little database (maybe in xml?) of installed files/modules
>> and their locations would be useful, perhaps even for a future
>> automatic download/installation/dependency-tracking thingmabob that
>> still regretably still doesn't exist as parth of the stdlib in
>> Pythonia.
>
> Actually it does, indirectly

Sorry, missed the OP. See PEP 261 for the plans in this area:

  http://python.org/peps/pep-0262.html

combined with extensions to the setup.py metadata in:

  http://python.org/peps/pep-0314.html

Most of the design / planning has been done. All we need is some developer
time to make it happen. Go visit the Catalog SIG if you're interested.

  http://www.python.org/sigs/catalog-sig/

     Richard