Python 3000 and "Python Regrets"

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 13:38:49 EST 2004

[beliavsky at aol.com]
> I just came across the slides for Guido van Rossum's "Python
> Regrets" talk, given in 2002. It worries me that much of my Python
> code would be broken if all of his ideas were implemented.

Actually, none of it would break, provided you don't change the Python
implementation you use.

> He doesn't even like 'print'. Of course, I am not qualified to argue
> with Van Rossum about the direction of Python.
>
> When is Python "3000" expected to appear?

This is usually expressed an as a positive offset from the time hell
freezes over, but people vary in their estimation of both parts.  At a
minimum, it requires that Guido first get a job where he can
concentrate on Python development.  That will happen when hell freezes
over, but may happen before then.  Hard to say.

> Is there a list of expected incompatibilities with Python 2.3?

No.

> Are serious Python programmers already taking care to avoid
> using Python features that may disappear in Python 3000?

No, although some naturally avoid dubious features without being
threatened <wink>.